The Sound Devices Scorpio is a revolutionary audio mixer and recorder designed specifically for professional audio engineers, sound designers, and location sound recordists. This comprehensive guide will take you through the key features, specifications, and performance of the Sound Devices Scorpio, ensuring you have a thorough understanding of this powerful device and its capabilities.
Overview of Sound Devices Scorpio
The Sound Devices Scorpio is a 32 channel, 36 track portable mixer-recorder that provides a versatile and reliable solution for capturing high-quality audio in the field. With its advanced routing capabilities, expansive input/output options, and an integrated USB audio interface, the Scorpio is an essential tool for professionals in the audio industry.
- 32 Channel Inputs: The Scorpio features 32 mic/line inputs (16 pre amplifiers) with high-quality, low-noise microphone preamps, ensuring pristine audio quality for every channel.
- 36-Track Recording: With 36 tracks available, the Scorpio provides ample capacity for capturing complex audio setups and multiple sources simultaneously.
- Dante Network Audio: The device supports Dante network audio, allowing seamless integration with other Dante-enabled equipment for flexible and expandable audio routing.
- Advanced Routing Capabilities: The Scorpio’s advanced routing matrix allows for flexible signal routing and custom mix configurations to accommodate any production scenario.
- Integrated USB Audio Interface: The built-in USB audio interface enables direct multitrack recording to a computer, simplifying post-production workflows.
- Input Channels: 32
- Recording Tracks: 36
- Sample Rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 192 kHz
- Bit Depth: 16, 24 bits
- Timecode Support: Word Clock, LTC, HDMI, Bluetooth
- Power Options: AC power, external DC power, internal battery
- Dimensions: 8.5 x 2.6 x 13.5 inches (W x H x D)
- Weight: 8.2 lbs.
Performance and Usability
The Sound Devices Scorpio delivers exceptional audio quality and performance, thanks to its high-quality preamps and 32-bit A/D converters. Its rugged construction and comprehensive feature set make it an ideal choice for professional audio applications in challenging environments.
Ease of Use
The Scorpio’s intuitive user interface, featuring a large, sunlight-readable touchscreen display and customizable metering options, makes it easy to navigate and adjust settings on the fly. Dedicated controls for gain, trim, and faders provide quick access to essential functions during recording sessions.
Battery Life and Power Options
The Scorpio offers a variety of power options, including AC power, external DC power, and an internal battery. The device’s advanced power management system ensures efficient use of power, providing extended run times for demanding productions.
The Scorpio features built-in Bluetooth support, allowing for wireless control and remote monitoring via the Sound Devices SD-Remote app. This offers added convenience and flexibility for audio professionals working in complex or remote environments.
Accessories and Expansion
The Sound Devices Scorpio is compatible with a wide range of accessories and expansion options, including:
- A20-Nexus Receiver: The A20-Nexus Receiver is a compact, wireless receiver system that integrates with the Scorpio, providing a streamlined solution for managing multiple wireless audio sources.
- CL-16 Control Surface: The CL-16 is a dedicated control surface designed for use with the Scorpio, offering tactile control and additional functionality for more complex mixing and recording scenarios.
- XL-AES Interface: The XL-AES is an optional AES input expander, providing an additional 8 channels of AES digital audio input for increased flexibility and connectivity.
- MD-4 Dante Interface: The MD-4 is a Dante-enabled interface that allows for seamless integration of the Scorpio with other Dante networked audio devices, simplifying audio routing and expanding system capabilities.
- Carrying Cases and Bags: A range of protective cases and bags are available for the Scorpio, ensuring safe transportation and convenient storage of the device and its accessories.
Applications and Use Cases
The Sound Devices Scorpio is an indispensable tool for a wide range of professional audio applications, including:
- Location Sound Recording: The Scorpio’s portable design, rugged construction, and advanced features make it an ideal choice for capturing high-quality audio on location for film, television, and documentary productions.
- Live Sound Reinforcement: With its extensive routing capabilities, Dante network support, and 32 channel inputs, the Scorpio is well-suited for managing complex live sound setups for concerts, theater productions, and corporate events.
- Broadcast and ENG: The Scorpio’s reliability, flexibility, and pristine audio quality make it a perfect fit for broadcast and electronic news gathering applications, where clear and accurate audio capture is essential.
- Post-Production: The integrated USB audio interface simplifies the process of transferring recorded tracks to a computer for editing, mixing, and mastering, making the Scorpio an efficient solution for post-production workflows.
The Sound Devices Scorpio is a powerful, versatile, and reliable audio mixer-recorder designed to meet the demanding requirements of professional audio engineers, sound designers, and location sound recordists. With its advanced features, exceptional audio quality, and robust construction, the Scorpio is an invaluable tool for professionals in the audio industry.
Whether you are working on a film set, live event, or in a broadcast environment, the Sound Devices’ Scorpio provides the performance and reliability you need to capture the highest quality audio possible.